Monday, October 18, 2010

Lightning McQueen Cake

For my son's 3rd Birthday, he wanted a Lightning McQueen (Disney Pixar movie CARS) cake. So I designed the race track in the shape of a 3 with "advertisements" from the CARS movie. I didn't make the cars, but everything else is made from marshmallow fondant. (I also used foam board behind the "Happy Birthday" sign to help it stay up) I made 2, two layer circle cakes. Created a "3" on the computer and used that as a template to cut the racetrack "3". The extra cake I had from cutting the three, I bunched together (very messily, but that was the point) and stuffed it under rolled out green fondant for the hills.



The "pavement" on the racetrack is Wilton's sparkle black gel. It came out a little too shiny... didn't dry well, so if I had to do it again, I'd just "paint" the gel on. Making the fat tires was so much fun! I just had a ball creating this cake!





This cake was a lot fun because the advertisements were sooo creative! I didn't come up with the ideas, just copied them from the movie. Like below, it says "Leak Less - Adult Drip Pans" and "Retread Tire Deoderant" LOVE IT!

















Had to show this picture of his present... a Lightning McQueen Power Wheels car! He obviously loved it!


































No comments:

Post a Comment